Never say never

Hello readers,

It’s been a long time since I last posted anything on my blog but wanted to check in to say hello and give you the latest about what’s been going on. The good and not so good and a reminder to never say never again!

The good news is that my first semester in school has finally ended and that I will be moving on to another full semester of nutrition, science and math in the fall.  But in the meantime, just so I don’t lose my knack for multiple choice exams, I decided to sign up for a summer class.  I swore long ago when I was working on my MBA, that I would never ever ever take another summer class no matter what.  I remember how that class (Management Information Systems) that I took many summers ago interfered with everything I wanted to do in my spare time.  After many hours of going back and forth of should I or shouldn’t I about taking Anatomy & Physiology II –  the notion of having this class over in 8 weeks – 2 times a week convinced me to to overrule my never say never rule and suck it up.

The not so good news is about my training or better yet lack of training.  Do you remember when I posted this about my back plank on the black ice? And do you remember how I continued on running after the fall and for many many weeks of marathon training post slip on the ice? On March 10, 2012 I decided to test my speed on the very hilly Tipperary Hill 4 mile race course. I remembered feeling really good during my one mile warmup and thought to myself that I was going to have a great race and possibly beat my best time on this course because I was in good shape. Then something very strange happened to me as I approached a steep downhill around the 2 mile marker.

I’m not a very strong downhill runner and I usually run conservatively down hills and this day was no different.  Once I got half way down a hill around the 2 mile marker, my body came to a dead halt. My body would not move.  My head was telling me to keep running but my body was telling me something totally different.  I managed to continue to walk down the hill and slowly started to run up the next hill and this walk down, run up method allowed me to finish the race.  There was no way I was going to DNF because of my #1 rule of never ever DNFing in a race and for the mere fact that I was in no pain, so it made sense to keep running.

During this race, I became so irritated watching runners that normally don’t beat me pass on by me.  For the record, my name is Kathleen and  I am an extremely competitive person. There I said it in print so you don’t have to think it or say it out loud.    I don’t know why but it is extremely annoying to see someone you know you are faster than, run right by you. Over the years I have gotten better at dealing with the passer-by runners since my aging body is not able to run 18 minute 5k’s, 63 minute 15k’s, sub 70-10 milers and 3 hour and 15 minute marathons anymore.  Tim is great at reminding me about the running talent I possess if I want it back so I should just stop my whining.  That is a post in itself.

Post race I was disappointed in my finishing time but went on about my Saturday like I normally would.  For the next two weeks or so including the day after the race, I continued to run but noticed that my stride was shortening, and my legs were seizing up causing me to take walk breaks.  I knew something was wrong but had no idea what because there was absolutely no pain.

I decided that it was time to seek out an orthopedic doctor for these strange occurrences because I had a marathon to run so I could qualify for Boston 2013. My thought was that I needed a quick fix like a magical cortisone injection or some good meds that would get me back on my marathon training schedule, but that didn’t happen.  One back x-ray, CT scan and MRI later, I was ordered to complete lock down from running or any other activity. I will not even post the horrifying words and/or possible diagnoses that were uttered by the physician that I saw that did not have any supporting diagnostic test like the MRI test results to support those statements.   Don’t worry, the words were not life threatening; but, I did take his advice to stop running to see if rest is what my body needed.

Fast forward 10 weeks later, and I am starting to run again and it feels good.   I am only taking baby steps right now but I see some improvement every day so that is good news.  Obviously, the Flying Pig Marathon did not happen and to say that I was disappointed in that is an understatement.   I have told a few friends that I have officially retired yet once again from marathons and competitive racing and that all I want to do is to run comfortably again.   After reading the words about my retirement in print, I am not sure if I believe myself.  I will have to wait and see what happens as I build up my strength and endurance again.  I do know that I will never say never again so who knows what is in store for my running future!



Have you ever said NEVER EVER about something and changed your mind? Would love you to share your stories to confirm I am not alone on this one!  Have a wonderful day!!