Oh, Deer!

Lookey who greeted this morning at Green Lakes.  This little fawn was more concerned with munchin down on some breakfast that he didn’t even flinch an inch when I snapped the photo less than a few feet away from him.


Obviously, he was enjoying the blades of green grass. You know, a little fiber every day is good for regularity.

As you all know that whatever I did to my body during the Boilermaker, set my ability to run back yet once again.  Since the onset of this injury in March of this year, I have seen 3 doctors, consulted with a back specialist in NYC via the telephone, had 2 back X-rays, 1 MRI & 1 CT of the spine, 2 sacroiliac joint steroid injections (one on each side) and an another injection to the back near the spine.  And can you believe with all these experts, I still don’t know what is wrong with me and why I can’t run like a normal human being.  Due to my desire to rule every possible diagnosis out and get to the bottom of this,  I  asked my primary care physician to set me up with a neurologist appointment to make sure everything is AOK with my internal wiring.

The MRI suggested that I had spondylolisthesis which is the technical term for a slipped vertebra or another word for degeneration of my back because I am getting old.  The MRI report also stated that I had a very small synovial cyst near one of the discs and possibly a fracture.

However, more recently I was told that I don’t have the slippage that they once thought and that a hairline fracture could be the culprit of my running woes.  Good thing I didn’t listen to the first doctor and go under the knife due to a problem I didn’t really have.  Not sure what they would have done with the unused screws and bolts left over in the operating room since there were no vertebrae out of whack to fuse together.  Not to preach, but for this reason is why one should always seek another or two second medical opinions.

I have been logging some good miles inside the comforts of my home on my bike trainer.  If you can believe it, I rode for a complete hour and a half.  That is definitely a record for me. I’m actually starting to like the bike.  It’s a great way to multi-task or catch up on any shows you missed.

Today was a really good day despite my running setback.  I tested the water on the trails again.  To my surprise, I was able to run non stop for 5 minutes.  I ran for a total of 5 followed by a 2-3 minute walk.  I’m not going to get too excited until I see how I feel tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

If you have any other ideas or suggestions of what I should do to get me back to running, I would appreciate your thoughts in the comments.  I gave up on Dr. Online awhile so maybe one of you have had a similar injury and found the magic cure.  

Thank you for reading Fittitude Freedom!